Tide Kitchen: Thai Green Papaya Salad
This salad will blow your mind.
Author: Bronte Vincent
Published: January 28, 2020
Known as Som Tam Thai, a deliciously fresh Thai dish.
- Half of a green papaya
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 red chilli, chopped
- Large handful of peanuts
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 2 limes
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste (optional)
- 1 punnet of mini tomatoes, halved
- Large handful of string beans (ends cut off)
- After washing the green papaya, peel off the skin using a peeler or knife. Use a grater or knife to shave the papaya.
- Using a mortar, crush the garlic and chilli.
- Add palm sugar, shrimp paste, fish sauce, and juice from one lime to the mortar. We recommend starting with less seasoning and adding more to your liking.
- Mix and pound the dressing, making sure the palm sugar and shrimp paste is fully dissolved into the liquid.
- Add the peanuts, tomatoes and string beans into the mortar.
- Lightly pound the mixture for about 30 seconds, partially breaking up the tomatoes, shrimp, string beans and peanuts.
- In a large bowl, toss the green papaya shavings with the dressing. Make sure the dressing is mixed through evenly to coat the salad. Best served with sticky rice.