You And Me Pho'ever: Vegetarian Pho
Don’t you pho-get about me.
Written by: Bronte Vincent | April 09, 2018
3 cinnamon sticks
3 whole cloves
2 star anise
1 brown onion (quartered)
6 slices of ginger
2 garlic cloves sliced
4 cups vegetable stock
4 cups water
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper
Packet of rice noodles
Shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
Firm tofu, cut into 1cm pieces
4 spring onions, thinly sliced
4 lime wedges
2 chillies, thinly sliced
- To make the broth, warm a medium sized pot on the stove. Add the cinnamon sticks, cloves, and star anise and toast until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onion, ginger, vegetable stock, water, soy sauce, vinegar and bring to boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 30-50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mushrooms and tofu by pan-frying each separately in olive oil. The tofu should be crispy and the mushroom should be tender (this isn’t Sunday breakfast).
- Prepare your noodles according to the packet. I prefer the thicker kind.
- Once the broth is finished cooking, strain out the solid ingredients with a kitchen sieve or a strainer. Season it with extra soy sauce and/or salt to your liking.
- Divide the noodles across 4 bowls. Ladle the broth into each bowl, add the mushroom and tofu. Now the fun part - garnish with bean sprouts, basil, mint, spring onions, peanuts, chilli and a lime wedge. If you like it spicy, add a bit of Sriracha sauce.
- Serve immediately, with chopsticks and soup spoons.
Photography credit: Lucy Vincent